Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Tell me what you want, what you really really want!

While Annika was still in the assessment process, I read a new story about autism service dogs in the UK (where we were living at the time).  At first I was sure it must be a joke, but sure enough there were several charities training and placing the dogs with children.  I became determined (obsessed as my husband would say) that this is what Annika needed.

My beautiful daughter loves animals, and especially dogs.  Her first word was "DOG" and she is constantly sneaking up on them in public, trying to pet and play with them.  To have a dog, an individual that is naturally loving and accepting, especially trained to cope with her most difficult traits, seemed like a dream I wanted to come true.

It's been a year since Annika's diagnosis, and in that year, we've moved halfway round the world....and the dream of a dog was put off.  Now, I'm back in the saddle.  It may take me years to raise the money ($10,000+ for the dog and training and an additional $10,000 for travel and other expenses) but I am determined that not even the Japanese import regulations will keep me from bringing a furry friend for Annika into our home.

I have found a wonderful kennel in North Carolina that is willing to try and work with us.  Highland Caning Training trains more than Autism Service Dogs, but they have been the first kennel willing to try and make this international match happen.

So here is to hoping that someday it truly will be a girl and her dog!

No comments:

Post a Comment